Creamy Tomato Fettuccini
Making your own tomato sauce is easier than you think. Once the pasta and sauce are tossed, personalize your meal with your favorite veggies!
- 8 oz. uncooked, 100%, whole-wheat fettuccine (or spaghetti or angel-hair pasta)
- Nonstick Cooking spray
- 2 cloves fresh, minced garlic OR 1 tsp. minced, jarred garlic
- 1/3 cup chopped onion (white or yellow, approximately 1 small)
- 2/3 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
- 2 Tbsp. chopped, fresh basil OR 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 14.5 ounces canned, low-sodium, diced tomatoes (undrained)
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Spray 3-quart saucepan with cooking spray and heat to medium-high heat. Cook onion and garlic, stirring occasionally, until onion begins to turn translucent (crisp-tender).
- Stir in remaining ingredients, breaking up tomatoes with spoon.
- Heat to a boil, reduce to low-heat and simmer uncovered 8 minutes, stirring occasionally until slightly thickened.
- Add pasta to sauce and toss.
Recipe and photo courtesy of American Heart Association.