Recipe: Cottage Cheese Very Blueberry Pancakes
Start the day committed to healthy AND delicious with this easy to make and family friendly recipe from the American Heart Association.
- 3 large egg whites or 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup low-fat, no-salt-added or low-sodium cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 12 ounces frozen blueberries (with liquid), thawed
- Cooking spray
- In a medium bowl, stir together the egg whites, cottage cheese, and milk.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, and sugar. Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture. Stir just until moistened but no flour is visible. Do not overmix.
- Gently fold the blueberries with the liquid into the batter.
- Lightly spray a griddle or large skillet with cooking spray. Heat over medium-high heat. For each pancake, ladle a 1/4 cup of batter onto the griddle. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or just until bubbles begin to form on the top of the pancakes and the edges are a little dry. Reduce the heat to medium low. Gently turn over the pancakes. Cook for about 3 minutes, or until the second side is golden brown and the pancakes are fairly firm to the touch.
- Transfer the pancakes to a cooling rack, placing them in a single layer and leaving space between. Repeat with the remaining batter.
Recipe and photo courtesy of American Heart Association